6 replies to this topic

#1 Tynesider

Tynesider
  • Registered Users
  • 30 posts
  • LocationShropshire
  • Car:Focus 1.6 Zetec Diesel (64)

Posted 21 May 2016 - 02:11 PM

Sorry I can not find another 'Technical section' so trying here as I was told the 'chat room' was not for technical posts :-x

Does anyone know if you can just change the headlights on a 64 plate Focus 1.6 diesel Zetec to the type which now includes the LCD day running lights?

I asked my local Ford garage about fitting 'kit form' LCD day running lights and they did not recommend fitting retro fit ones as they said it would entailed cutting the bumper, so I thought after why not just change the whole headlight 'if possible' OR would the cost be ridiculous. ;-)

#2 jbeer

jbeer

FFOC Forum Moderator

• Forum Moderators
  • 3871 posts
  • LocationBirmingham
  • Car:BMW 320i M Sport

Posted 21 May 2016 - 06:43 PM

I've moved this to the correct section

#3 DazW

DazW

Warwickshire Regional Head

• Regional Coordinators
  • 2372 posts
  • LocationNuneaton
  • Car:2016 Ford Focus Zetec S

Posted 21 May 2016 - 07:17 PM

The main problem with retro fitting DRLs is that by law they need to dim when the indicators flash otherwise they're are illegal so you need a permenant feed plus a switched feed

#4 kittkarr

kittkarr
  • Registered Users
  • 643 posts

Posted 21 May 2016 - 11:15 PM

doubt he will get to see the answer as he's only a registered user so will not have access to this section

#5 DazW

DazW

Warwickshire Regional Head

• Regional Coordinators
  • 2372 posts
  • LocationNuneaton
  • Car:2016 Ford Focus Zetec S

Posted 22 May 2016 - 06:27 AM

Yes but I answered it on principle as it was originally posted in General Chat :-)

#6 Daz158

Daz158
  • Registered Users
  • 4803 posts
  • LocationBarnsley S74- Enjoying the Bluefin

Posted 22 May 2016 - 07:44 PM

On my mondeo the drls don't dim when I indicate. Are you thinking of the duel colour leds which are white and orange like in the mercs ect.

#7 vindi93

vindi93
  • Full Membership
  • 622 posts
  • Car:focus mk3 1.6 ecoboost 180bhp

Posted 22 May 2016 - 08:13 PM

I was under The impression DRLs only need to dim if they are used during the night aswell, my retrofit osram ones dim when I put my normal driving lights on. In response to the guys question if he buys a set of OEM ford headlights which allready have the DRLs in them, 1 the wiring loom won't support them, you would need the correct loom. 2 the ecu/bcm would need to be checked to see if it supports them in the first place. Failing that you could possible get an aftermarket control box and wire in the DRLs separately to the main light plug. Either way no easy way to do it. If the guy registers so he can read this maybe some one drop him a message.