2 replies to this topic

#1 gt-keith

gt-keith
  • Registered Users
  • 156 posts
  • LocationWest yorks
  • Car:Ford Focus Mk2 Tdci 1.8 Ghia

Posted 21 May 2016 - 02:57 PM

So guys, went out to start the car last Weekend and the battery is just about dead, it''s an 07 but still took me by surprise because it's usually a very good starter and while the battery is not in the spring of youth it still spun it round quite well.
Seeing as the MOT and service was due next month I just moved it forward the this last week for new battery, full service and MOT.
Picked the car up Thursday evening just as the mechanic was taking it out for a short test drive, so I know he had drove it a few miles. I drove the car the one and half miles home no problems, apart from a smell of diesel that I expected as the fuel filter had been changed.
Went out Friday lunch the car started immediately the key turned, all good. Waited for the missus to come out and suddenly after a minute or so the car stopped dead, no spluttering or misfire just stopped as if I'd turned the key off.
Tried to restart, spun over great with the new battery but nothing, called the mechanic out he gave it a quick spin on the starter but no luck. So it was on the back of the breakdown truck back to the garage till they can have a look on Monday.
Now I have used this garage for years and they have always been very good and thorough so I'm hoping it''s something simple.
Any ideas ?

#2 Daz158

Daz158
  • Registered Users
  • 4803 posts
  • LocationBarnsley S74- Enjoying the Bluefin

Posted 22 May 2016 - 07:47 PM

Yep sounds like an air lock in the fuel filter.  It happened to me when I changed my filter myself. A good mechanic should sort that in 10 min. ...

#3 gt-keith

gt-keith
  • Registered Users
  • 156 posts
  • LocationWest yorks
  • Car:Ford Focus Mk2 Tdci 1.8 Ghia

Posted 23 May 2016 - 05:30 PM

Got the car back tonight, turns out it was a faulty fuel filter. Genuine Ford filter now fitted full engine bay valet and a MOT all FOC.
So fingers crossed.