4 replies to this topic

#1 PerryST83

PerryST83
  • Registered Users
  • 11 posts
  • Car:Focus st mk3

Posted 27 May 2016 - 08:14 AM

Hi

So my 2013 ST MK3 has just started doing something strange.

From cold start the engine temp rises straight to half in about 1 mile. *(never used to)

Then the fan kicks in and satys on until the engine is switched off

Any ideas?

Sesnor maybe?

Water level is fine and not using any

#2 vindi93

vindi93
  • Full Membership
  • 622 posts
  • Car:focus mk3 1.6 ecoboost 180bhp

Posted 27 May 2016 - 05:18 PM

My engine which is the 1.6 gets warm pretty quickly all ways has. Check your coolant level.

#3 PerryST83

PerryST83
  • Registered Users
  • 11 posts
  • Car:Focus st mk3

Posted 28 May 2016 - 10:59 AM

Coolant level is bang on. No faults on diagnostics. No leaks.

#4 stando20

stando20
  • Full Membership
  • 5 posts
  • LocationNottingham

Posted 07 August 2016 - 08:41 AM

Having the same issue with mine. Except mine runs on for about five minutes after the engine switches off and the stop start never works even after putting my battery regularly on charge with an optimiser. There is a fault code in the memory saying "engine coolant circuit by pass valve control circuit open." Could you have the same issue even though I don't think you would have the stop start facility. Maybe worth a thought.
BTW Mine says "no fault "on a standard diagnosis  machine but when I put on a more advanced one on this fault appears

#5 Greybeard1

Greybeard1
  • Full Membership
  • 146 posts

Posted 27 August 2016 - 09:02 AM

Is the coolant going through the radiator, or just circulating round the block? Or only partially going through? The point of the thermostat is to only open up the full circuit when the engine has warmed up; if it's not opening fully, the coolant doesn't get cooled properly. "engine coolant circuit by pass valve control circuit open." might be tech-speak for "thermostat sensor failure"?

When the engine is warm, how hot are the hoses to the radiator? Beware of trying to touch the radiator directly if the fan's running!