6 replies to this topic

#1 DannyFishcharge

DannyFishcharge
  • Registered Users
  • 4 posts
  • LocationCornwall
  • Car:2011 Titanium 1.6 EcoBoost

Posted 20 May 2017 - 02:04 PM

Hi - Is anyone aware of any issues with the above engine type....  let me tell you a story.

Bought an 11-plate last year, approx 63k miles and all was fine until about August when noticed we had some coolant loss, which at one point resulted in over-heating as total loss of fluid.  Went into local Ford dealers and they found issue with one of the hoses, as described in http://www.ffoc.co.u...3-coolant-fail/ .  New hose and all OK for a few weeks, but same again and then noticed cracks in the actual coolant tank, so this was replaced as well.  All has been well since.

Car went in to same dealers on Tuesday this week for annual service, and today has has emptied ALL coolant after covering only 47 miles.  Went to top the coolant back up, and after putting over a litre of pre-mixed coolant in, there was hardly anything there.  Tried topping it up with just water which I've filled to the MAX line, to just watch it drain out again but there is no sign of any fluid under the car,

It's going into the engine block, isn't it?  No signs of any fluid loss anywhere else, except for what looked like possible oil on the right side of the engine, under the battery :sad:

Any other ideas?

Thanks

#2 vindi93

vindi93
  • Full Membership
  • 622 posts
  • Car:focus mk3 1.6 ecoboost 180bhp

Posted 20 May 2017 - 08:59 PM

Check inside driver footwell thats where mine recently leaked.

#3 DannyFishcharge

DannyFishcharge
  • Registered Users
  • 4 posts
  • LocationCornwall

Posted 21 May 2017 - 11:25 AM

Apart from some slightly damp carpet under the mat on the drivers side, but not enough for about 1.5L of fluid that I put in yesterday, nothing.

Had another look under the bonnet and noticed on the right side of the engine bay, to the left of the battery was what looks like a perished hose but unable to find the other end or where it might lead to...

Trying to look online to find what this should be connected to, in the vain hope that's all it is and not a major payout.  Have tried posting a pic but failed :(

#4 vindi93

vindi93
  • Full Membership
  • 622 posts

Posted 21 May 2017 - 10:06 PM

You need to upload your pic to photobucket then if using a mobile phone you select share and say copy link and you copy everything in the box next to img.

#5 vindi93

vindi93
  • Full Membership
  • 622 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 08:46 AM

If your floor feels damp you will need to remove the rubber strip by the door shut not all of it just enough so you can get to the plastic strip which is at the edge of the carpet its about the size of a ruler. Take that off and towards where the pedals theres another plastic trim remove this. That will make it easier for you to lift the carpet. Underneath carpet is a big piece of sponge you may find that is saturated with coolant and also the sound deadening by the pedals.

#6 DannyFishcharge

DannyFishcharge
  • Registered Users
  • 4 posts
  • LocationCornwall

Posted 23 May 2017 - 08:50 PM

Thanks for your replies vindi93, have now got it fixed by at the dealers - for now...  Might get shot of the car now as 3rd time in 13 months something has gone wrong with the coolant system.
The problem waswith the pipe that leads to the thermostat housing (think that's what he said) and is made of the same, hard but goes brittle plastic that the tube from the coolant tank is made from.  Dealers said they had tested the car and there was no damage to the engine, but that was another £144 I could have done without having to spend.

#7 jannergeoff

jannergeoff
  • Registered Users
  • 12 posts
  • LocationHereford,UK.
  • Car:Focus Zetec S, Auto, 2016.

Posted 11 June 2017 - 01:37 PM

Suspect its the same problem with the Fiesta engine i.e. the degas hose/plastic Uni0n which feeds the coolant in the head tank down to the water pump.Ford should be sending out recalls on this hose to all ecoboost type engines,perhaps they have ? Fords know about this faulty plastic Uni0n which age hardens and cracks over time with these constant high water temperatures.Hopefully there is a better modified design hose being fitted in its place to prevent this lose of coolant.Any further information on this would be welcome folks !