• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 John43

John43
  • Full Membership
  • 6 posts
  • Car:Focus Ecoboost 1.0 125ps 2013

Posted 19 January 2018 - 06:18 PM

In December 2016 (warranty expired June 2016) I had a new clutch & flywheel fitted due to the clutch slave cylinder leaking. My Ford dealer reported the cause of the problem without delay & got me a 50% goodwill payment from Ford Motors.

My car is now back at the dealers & they report the clutch plate is worn down to the metal & the flywheel is also damaged, after just 9k miles & 12 months since the previous work done, but there is no sign of any fluid leakage. I am inclined to believe what they say.
Just my wife & myself drive the car & we each have over 40 years driving mainly in manual cars, are not heavy footed (but cannot prove it) & am at a loss to understand how a clutch can be destroyed completely in 9K miles. I can only think that the previous clutch replacement was not properly fitted (but cannot prove it)
Does anyone have any ideas as to the cause ?

I am going to be faced with a bill of over £1,000 & can only see if another goodwill payment is available.

Thanks
John

#2 Mike11

Mike11

SMT & Facebook Guru

• Administrators
  • 13712 posts
  • LocationLive~Manchester Work~Glasgow
  • Car:'54 ST170 & '17 Fiesta 140

Posted 19 January 2018 - 07:41 PM

Certainly a weird one, i will move your post to the right section (technical) as it might get more responses in there. I’d start by asking them the average service interval for a clutch and flywheel etc? I bet it doesn’t come in a 9k. I would push at least for the parts to be supplied free of charge and just pay the fitting. Sounds like it was fitted correctly otherwise you wouldn.’t have got 9k miles out of it, sounds more like a defective part to me, i would be playing that card, not fit for purpose under the sales of goods act i think it is, manufacturers defect etc.

#3 vindi93

vindi93
  • Full Membership
  • 622 posts
  • Car:focus mk3 1.6 ecoboost 180bhp

Posted 19 January 2018 - 09:19 PM

Definitely something not right there i still have the same clutch in im on 98000 miles. For a clutch to wear out within 9k miles somethings not right

#4 John43

John43
  • Full Membership
  • 6 posts
  • Car:Focus Ecoboost 1.0 125ps 2013

Posted 22 January 2018 - 07:20 PM

View Postvindi93, on 19 January 2018 - 09:19 PM, said:

Definitely something not right there i still have the same clutch in im on 98000 miles. For a clutch to wear out within 9k miles somethings not right

View PostMike11, on 19 January 2018 - 07:41 PM, said:

Certainly a weird one, i will move your post to the right section (technical) as it might get more responses in there. I’d start by asking them the average service interval for a clutch and flywheel etc? I bet it doesn’t come in a 9k. I would push at least for the parts to be supplied free of charge and just pay the fitting. Sounds like it was fitted correctly otherwise you wouldn.’t have got 9k miles out of it, sounds more like a defective part to me, i would be playing that card, not fit for purpose under the sales of goods act i think it is, manufacturers defect etc.

#5 Greybeard1

Greybeard1
  • Full Membership
  • 145 posts

Posted 17 November 2018 - 06:53 PM

I don't know if it relates specifically to your vehicle, but Ford have just issued a recall (VOSA link) for Ecoboost engines with 6 speed manual transmission, related to clutch slip. If you paid out a lot for a repair, and it turns out that the cause was the same as the recall, you may have a case for a refund.