5 replies to this topic

#1 jaiimez

jaiimez
  • Full Membership
  • 5 posts
  • LocationNorfolk
  • Car:Mk1 1.8 TDCI

Posted 01 December 2018 - 05:18 PM

Hey, so just upgraded from a Mk1 1.8 TDCI Ghia to a Mk 3 1.6 TDCI Titanium, and I was wondering, what factory options are capable (if any) of being installed after build, I'd love the auto main beams for one (it has auto lights but seems the auto main beams switch is seperate). The other is potentially upgrading to ACC although I imagine I'd need alot more sensors and the kind of work that couldn't be done post-factory.

#2 miketmechanic

miketmechanic
  • Full Membership
  • 61 posts
  • LocationPreston
  • Car:2017 FOCUS ST

Posted 01 December 2018 - 06:49 PM

Any post build upgrades can be made providing you have deep pockets

#3 Ldsundance

Ldsundance
  • Full Membership
  • 5026 posts
  • LocationNewcastle Upon tyne
  • Car:mk3 titanium x navigator

Posted 01 December 2018 - 08:49 PM

the ACC i am assuming Adaptive Cruise Control? it is possible but getting the radar is quite expensive new i think it is over £1000 not found one on ebay yet although you can get the radar separate but it is mainly the mounting bracket that you cant get separate it sits behind the passenger side triangle in the bumper, the wiring might be already there if you have front mounted parking sensors, for the auto main beams you need the windscreen mounted camera which would also then be able to give you traffic sign recognition

#4 jaiimez

jaiimez
  • Full Membership
  • 5 posts
  • LocationNorfolk

Posted 02 December 2018 - 07:00 AM

View PostLdsundance, on 01 December 2018 - 08:49 PM, said:

the ACC i am assuming Adaptive Cruise Control? it is possible but getting the radar is quite expensive new i think it is over £1000 not found one on ebay yet although you can get the radar separate but it is mainly the mounting bracket that you cant get separate it sits behind the passenger side triangle in the bumper, the wiring might be already there if you have front mounted parking sensors, for the auto main beams you need the windscreen mounted camera which would also then be able to give you traffic sign recognition

Hmm yeah, I have the rear parking sensors, but not the front, just wasn't sure, because I know in the past some cars have often had some of the hardware or connections for the upgrades installed but they were just disabled and you had to pay Ford to essentially unlock them, I remember years ago someone I knew had a car which all he had to do to get cruise control was replace the steering wheel with one with the controls, then pay ford to do something to the ECU to make it work, apparently it had the rest of the hardware already in the car just wasn't enabled because it wasn't selected, wasn't sure if this was similar, so I assume the sensor for the auto setting on the headlights use a different sensor then to what the main beams do. It's something I might look into, I just wondered if the sensor was already in there but it just wasn't enabled.

So this looks like the item i'd need to upgrade the light sensors?
https://www.ebay.co....E-/113380790664

#5 Ldsundance

Ldsundance
  • Full Membership
  • 5026 posts
  • LocationNewcastle Upon tyne
  • Car:mk3 titanium x navigator

Posted 02 December 2018 - 01:02 PM

if you don't have normal cruise control you should be able to add that with just the steering switches and enabling it with focccus, the ebay item looks like what is needed, not sure on the mounting hardware you might need a new windscreen too, you would also need to check if you have the wiring there too, the auto lights uses the sensor on the dash i believe

#6 jaiimez

jaiimez
  • Full Membership
  • 5 posts
  • LocationNorfolk

Posted 02 December 2018 - 01:04 PM

View PostLdsundance, on 02 December 2018 - 01:02 PM, said:

if you don't have normal cruise control you should be able to add that with just the steering switches and enabling it with focccus, the ebay item looks like what is needed, not sure on the mounting hardware you might need a new windscreen too, you would also need to check if you have the wiring there too, the auto lights uses the sensor on the dash i believe
I already have standard cruise control, it's just alot of ideas i'm considering, I enjoy the odd tinkering, my Mk 1 I had done a tonne of work on, although this one I don't want to do too much that might risk ruining it's value, but definitely open to some of the upgrades that the card can come from the factory with (that and the LED headlights I want).