• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 vindi93

vindi93
  • Full Membership
  • 608 posts
  • Car:focus mk3 1.6 ecoboost 180bhp

Posted 07 January 2019 - 01:07 AM

Just thought i would say my n/s front wheel bearing became noisy a few weeks ago so decided to buy a bearing as i was gonna fit it myself. Bare in mind last time i did this was on a cortina mk4. I then find out you cant not change without a hydraulic press grrr. So went and bought a 2nd hand hub unit instead and swapped it the weekend it looked like an easy job 6hrs later it was done. Tools which i didn't have which would have helped were a fat cold chisel as in a metal work chisel not a wooden one to open the rear of the upright where it fits the lower wishbone ball joint and where it attaches to the base of the strut. Also the ball joint on the lower wishbone is a pig it also has a stupid metal clip which just gets in the way. You need a bar about 3ft long with a wide opened ball joint splitter on the end. You can free the ball joint but getting completely away from the upright is a no easy task as you push down the angle changes on the ball joint then jams in the upright stopping it going any further. After fighting for a while and not getting anywhere i found a stopcock  tool which you use for turning the water on and off the right size to fit round the ball joint. Pushing down on the bar all though moved the pin of the ball joint didn't release it. Instead lifting the bar up pushed the wishbone down but also push the upright towards the engine it then freed finally. Removing hub from off the base of the strut was just a case of opening the gap at the rear slightly then hammering it with a lump hammer. It was hard work but its now a lot quieter and no abs warnings.

#2 E TEA 66

E TEA 66

FFOC Forum Moderator

• Forum Moderators
  • 3382 posts
  • LocationStockport .
  • Car:Mk1.5 Focus Ghia Saloon

Posted 07 January 2019 - 12:15 PM

Yep that's a real pain in the neck that job but one you can be proud of after your efforts 8) .