Wax/Sealing How To

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Russ77

Russ77

FFOC Car Care Advisor & FFOC Pub Moderator

• Forum Moderators
  • 12014 posts
  • LocationEssex - Loving the DARKSIDE!!!!
  • Car:2.0TDCi Titanium Estate

Posted 22 April 2009 - 08:11 AM

This is only a guide, any manufacturer's recommendation/guidelines should still be observed/followed.

The Purpose of Waxing:

To seal in the finish produced by claying/polishing and to protect the paintwork from contaminants.

Like with polishes, there are hundreds of wax/last stage products available ranging from a few pound to thousands of pounds!!!

If the budget is tight, Turtlewax is good, Autoglym/Meguiars is better and if you can stretch to a little more you can look at the likes of Collinite, Victoria wax, DoDo juice etc.

A lot of the choice is down to personal preference and even down to the colour of your car.  Everyone has their personal favourites, mine's Collinite 915, it's extremely durable and is very easy to apply.

How to:

Once you've washed, clayed & polished your car you need to protect all your hard work with a wax/sealant.

Using an applicator apply the wax thinly to an entire panel, working in straight lines, preferably in the direction the air would flow over that panel.  Some waxes take a while to cure and you can apply the product to the entire car and then buff off, others cure sooner and you can only work on a panel at a time.

As a general rule of thumb, wax shouldn't need lots of pressure to remove it.  If it smears when you try and buff it off it's not ready, if you're having to apply lots of pressure it's been on too long.

Using some QD when removing wax can be quite useful.

Pure waxes can usually be layered but normally need 24-48hrs between layers, it's not essential to layer them up, however it will increase the protection to you paint work ;-)

#2 naxtek

naxtek
  • Registered Users
  • 1559 posts
  • LocationDerbyshire Drives: The ST100

Posted 22 April 2009 - 03:45 PM

Good waxes that haven't got a silly price tag:

Most Dodo Waxes
Collinite 915 Marque D'Elegance
Victoria Wax Concours Red

#3 teamalchemist

teamalchemist
  • Registered Users
  • 1305 posts
  • Locationsouthport

Posted 04 May 2009 - 08:40 AM

sorry what's QD ?

#4 Russ77

Russ77

• Forum Moderators
  • 12014 posts

Posted 04 May 2009 - 09:43 AM

teamalchemist said:

sorry what's QD ?

You must have jumped straight to the Waxing how too..... QD is Quick Detailer :wink:

#5 teamalchemist

teamalchemist
  • Registered Users
  • 1305 posts
  • Locationsouthport

Posted 04 May 2009 - 05:33 PM

Russ77 said:

teamalchemist said:

sorry what's QD ?

You must have jumped straight to the Waxing how too..... QD is Quick Detailer :wink:

just got myself some collinite 915, know please tell me more about quick detailer and what make do you recommend?

#6 Russ77

Russ77

• Forum Moderators
  • 12014 posts

Posted 04 May 2009 - 06:14 PM

teamalchemist said:

Russ77 said:

teamalchemist said:

sorry what's QD ?

just got myself some collinite 915, know please tell me more about quick detailer and what make do you recommend?

You can get Meguiars QD and there's a few different ones on Cleanyourcar.co.uk, probably the most cost effective way to do it is to buy Megs Last touch which dilutes 1:1 to give you just over 7 litres..... don't worry, when you find out how useful this stuff is you'll use it more :wink:

#7 naxtek

naxtek
  • Registered Users
  • 1559 posts
  • LocationDerbyshire Drives: The ST100

Posted 05 May 2009 - 10:15 AM

+1 for Megs Last Touch... it's actually one of the better ones I've tried too, and at that price it's a steal...

I use it as a clay lube, drying aid, gloss enhancer between waxing, to clean bird droppings off safely + much more... you can never have enough detail spray! :D

#8 teamalchemist

teamalchemist
  • Registered Users
  • 1305 posts
  • Locationsouthport

Posted 06 May 2009 - 04:30 PM

thanks for the help peps,1 bottle of last touch with mixing bottle and spray thingy  are on there way to me  :D

#9 teamalchemist

teamalchemist
  • Registered Users
  • 1305 posts
  • Locationsouthport

Posted 10 May 2009 - 12:18 PM

just finished waxing my car with the 915, hard work as my car is silver and its not easy to tell if i was putting to much on but wow what a finish, loving the shine, its hard to put in to words but its very soft and subtle, before in bright sunlight the shine seemed to wash out the lines of the car but now she looks amazing. great recommend russ thanks. :D

#10 Big-Stef

Big-Stef
  • Registered Users
  • 1052 posts
  • LocationLanarkshire

Posted 13 June 2009 - 05:19 PM

A good combo is Autoglymn HD wax then some Zaino Z-8 or Dodo Red Mist on top for that wet look.