• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Minsterman

Minsterman
  • Registered Users
  • 440 posts
  • LocationNorth Yorkshire

Posted 02 January 2012 - 07:39 AM

I am thinking of investing in a set of winter tyres for my Mk3 Estate as I live out in the sticks (where gritters fear to tread!).

Rather than swap the tyres over on my standard 16 inch wheels, I would rather buy a second set of wheels (either steel or cheap alloys) and put the winter tyres onto them. so I can easily get them changed over in spring and autumn ready for summer/winter.

I don't really want to fork out for brand new wheels for the winter tyres, I would rather buy a set second hand or from a scrapyard etc. However never having bought wheels before do I just need any Ford 16 inch wheels with five holes for the bolts or are there specific ones for the Focus Mk3?. I haven't a clue about things mentioned in other posts on the forum about 'off sets' etc, I just want a set that I can put on and they are good to go. Also if they are steel wheels would I need different bolts?

The car currently has 215/55/R16 tyres on it and ideally I would like the corresponding wheels and winter tyres.

Thanks

#2 ourpcman

ourpcman
  • Registered Users
  • 4342 posts
  • LocationSouth Bucks
  • Car:Mk1 1.8 Zetec 5-dr petrol 1998

Posted 02 January 2012 - 11:38 AM

If you change wheel size you need to get the overall diameter very close. Use a tool like this to compare:
http://www.tyres-pne... ... dvice.html

Winter tyres are often smaller wheels with deeper profile tyre, but 55 you have now isn't unreasonable anyway so you could stay on the exact same measurements with the winter set.
If you had a set of 15" wheels then you'd need at least a 60 profile (which is what my Mk1 has for winter).

There may be a minimum wheel size to clear the brakes; your drivers manual (or dealer) should advise.

Offsets are important (within limits) and are usually marked on the inside of the wheel as ETxx, where xx is the offset in millimetres.
Get that badly wrong and the tyres/wheels will foul on brakes, suspension or bodywork.

And your insurers like to be told, though "most" won't charge anything - ask in advance?

#3 Minsterman

Minsterman
  • Registered Users
  • 440 posts
  • LocationNorth Yorkshire

Posted 02 January 2012 - 07:48 PM

Thanks ourpcman.

Would for example a set of 16 inch wheels from a Mk2/Mk2.5 fit directly on do you know?

Thanks

Pete

#4 blackfocusghia

blackfocusghia
  • Registered Users
  • 94 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 12:34 AM

Thinking of doing exactly the same. I've got Michelin Alpin A4s in the shed for new Focus estate. My plan was to bite the bullet and go for 16" ST style wheels as is fitted to new Focus / Cmax. Mind you that's an outlay of £450+. Local scrapyards dont have decent 16" 5 spoke Focus wheels.

#5 craigc_foci

craigc_foci
  • Registered Users
  • 1651 posts
  • LocationManchester

Posted 17 January 2012 - 02:41 PM

Shouldnt need winter tyres with ESP, EBD and traction assist should u?? Haha!  :D

#6 craigc_foci

craigc_foci
  • Registered Users
  • 1651 posts
  • LocationManchester

Posted 17 January 2012 - 02:41 PM

Shouldnt need winter tyres with ESP, EBD and traction assist should u?? Haha!  :D

#7 chelspeed

chelspeed
  • Registered Users
  • 315 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 06:53 PM

I came on here to see if the mk3 has the same 5 stud and pcd etc as the mk2.5.

I have a 2010 ST3 and have winter tyres for the front only.  Used them last week and they were brilliant, helped me out no end.  But I'm aware of the problems with fronts only so would like to buy another two to get a full set.  But I'm likely to change to a mk3 ST some time next year (or as soon as they make a 3 door.....) so if the wheels will fit the mk3 it's easier to justify.

If they are the same then something that may help others is that I bought 17" Kuga steels off ebay for reaonable money, lots cheaper than alloys anyway.