Poor fuel consumption!!!

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 RickBess

RickBess
  • Registered Users
  • 19 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 09:50 AM

My focus 1.8 diesel is only giving about 30mpg should it be a little better than this ??

Also when i stat it up it takes a while for the engine to kick in I imagine that isnt helping as well.

Any help with this would be much appriciated thanks.

#2 Russ77

Russ77

FFOC Car Care Advisor & FFOC Pub Moderator

• Forum Moderators
  • 12014 posts
  • LocationEssex - Loving the DARKSIDE!!!!
  • Car:2.0TDCi Titanium Estate

Posted 15 March 2012 - 09:54 AM

What's you're average journey length like?  Do you regularly get stuck in traffic?  Have you had it serviced lately?  Any mods?

#3 RickBess

RickBess
  • Registered Users
  • 19 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 11:17 AM

Only do short journeys to be fair dont really get tuck in traffic and only bought it last month and was supposed to be serviced by the dealer before i bought it. And no mods just standard. Thanks

#4 Russ77

Russ77

• Forum Moderators
  • 12014 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 11:23 AM

Short journies will seriously affect MPG although I'd have thought you would have got more than 30MPG.

Also, how are you working out your MPG?

#5 RickBess

RickBess
  • Registered Users
  • 19 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 11:25 AM

By the litres i put in and covert to gallons against my mileage if that makes sense

#6 Russ77

Russ77

• Forum Moderators
  • 12014 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 11:41 AM

Yeah, know what you mean :)

Just to clarify "short journies", how long time/miles are we talking?

#7 RickBess

RickBess
  • Registered Users
  • 19 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 11:56 AM

time wise about 15 mins to and from work miles about 15 a day.
Someone did say give it a good run on the motorway ??? you reckon that will do it any good not sure how long its been stood at the dealers to. Thanks mate

#8 Russ77

Russ77

• Forum Moderators
  • 12014 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 12:03 PM

RickBess said:

time wise about 15 mins to and from work miles about 15 a day.
Someone did say give it a good run on the motorway ??? you reckon that will do it any good not sure how long its been stood at the dealers to. Thanks mate

It probably could do with a bit of a blast..... once it's warmed up then bouncing it off the rev limiter wont hurt too much :wink:

It normally takes mine 5-10mins to get to operating temp at which point the engine should be working at it's optimum temperature so given your total journey time is only 15 mins, it's barely warm before you're at work.

Might be worth giving it a month or so until the weather warms up a little as cold temps don't help MPG either.

#9 naomicornish

naomicornish
  • Registered Users
  • 11879 posts
  • LocationTavistock, Devon
  • Car:err, a Focus....!

Posted 15 March 2012 - 12:52 PM

Give it a blast on the motorway... floor it so it rids of any crud..... check the oil (mainly for colour, although it goes black fairly quick in a diesel - like, 100 miles, so the sooner you check the better) just to see if it was serviced when they said....

Whack some BG244 in a full tank of fuel as well... that'll clean out all the injectors n stuff.... regardless of your short trips, you should be getting a lot more than 30mpg out of her.

#10 Scottishrob79

Scottishrob79
  • Registered Users
  • 442 posts
  • LocationIn front seat of a 2002 TDCi Ghia

Posted 15 March 2012 - 05:04 PM

I do short trips 90% of the time and I'm a postie who carries mail in my car for half of those journeys (so plenty of weight in the car) and I still get  36-37mpg, so I would of thought 30 was a bit low.

Change your air filter and fuel filter (both cheap as chips), our oil and filter (as mentioned above) and I also recommend BG244.  Also check your tyre pressures and if it feels out, your tracking (that can affect fuel consumption too)