• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 scottg17

scottg17
  • Registered Users
  • 313 posts
  • LocationInvergordon(near inverness)

Posted 15 March 2012 - 11:38 PM

Few people have been asking about diesels so bored with bugger all else to do I've knocked up a quick guide to the mk1 and mk2 diesels and just put down what I know as it might be useful to some :)

TDDI - Turbo Diesel Direct Injection
Fuel delivered via a mechanical fuel pump, pump controls each injector mechanically  

Posted Image

TDCI - Turbo Diesel Common rail Injection
Fuel delivered via common rail - high pressure fuel rail each injector controlled by the ECU  

Posted Image

MK1

The mk1 uses the old endura de engine which started its life in the late 80s in the ford sierra, since then the engine has been used throughout the nineties and refined and the used in the mk1 focus

It comes in 3 different Variants

90bhp TDDI

Generally a solid engine, not many faults, fairly simplistic engine

Posted Image

100/115 bhp TDCI

No physical difference between the 115 and the 100 as far as I know, i think the only difference was that they run a different map.
Suffer from failing DMF (Dual Mass Flywheel) Solid conversions are available and worth looking at if the DMF fails as its a far more reliable setup.
Also suffer issues with injectors and EGR valves blocking up

Posted Image

MK2

mk2 comes with 3 different diesel engines in 6 different forms (maybe more)
1.6 tdci 90
1.6 tdci 110 non DPF
1.6 tdci 110 DPF
1.8 tdci
2.0 tdci 136bhp non DPF
2.0 tdci 136bhp DPF

the 1.6 and 2.0 units are designed in a joint affair with ford and PSA (peugeot group) and are found in loads of other cars, volvo, mazda, mini, citroen and peugeot. Most of these cars have DPF filters fitted to conform to euro 4 emission. The system has an additive tank that needs filled up every 37500 miles at a cost of about £200 give or take. At 75000 miles ford state the DPF filter needs replacing, priced one recently at ford for £1100 not even fitted. You can get pattern parts for about £250 - £350 but none the less having a car with a DPF fitted can be expensive so bear this in mind when buying

1.6 TDCI

Smooth, refined, economical
Suffers from Turbo failure due to carbon deposits, injector seals fail
Oil changes must be done without fail using fully synthetic oil, I recommend every 5000 miles.... but mine has done 8000 so well overdue

Posted Image

1.8 TDCI

Fundamentally the same as the mk1 engine, but rough and unrefined for the era of car but generally robust only really suffering DMF failure, on the plus side no DPF to worry about :)

Posted Image

2.0 TDCI

NOT the same engine as the mk3 mondeo. Generally sound engine minus the DPF side of things if fitted, hears a few niggles with injectors and EGR valves but seem to hear less horror stories than with the 1.6 model, begs of power and torque too and easily chipped to 160bhp :)

Posted Image

Anything I've missed (probably have) stick it in :)[img]

#2 archerz

archerz
  • Registered Users
  • 282 posts
  • LocationCo. Durham
  • Car:TDCi 2.0

Posted 16 March 2012 - 01:47 PM

good little read. i'm one of the lucky ones with a 2.0TDCI without DPF!!

#3 gt-keith

gt-keith
  • Registered Users
  • 156 posts
  • LocationWest yorks
  • Car:Ford Focus Mk2 Tdci 1.8 Ghia

Posted 16 March 2012 - 05:17 PM

Very good.

How about some pic's with arrows pointing to the various components.
The next time you're bored that is.   :lol:

#4 HighlanderUK

HighlanderUK
  • Full Membership
  • 732 posts
  • LocationAberdeen, Scotland
  • Car:MK3 TDCi 2.0 (185) ST-3

Posted 22 June 2013 - 06:36 PM

View Postarcherz, on 16 March 2012 - 01:47 PM, said:

good little read. i'm one of the lucky ones with a 2.0TDCI without DPF!!

me too just now, but about to get a MKIII 2.0TDCi 163PS and unfortunately it has DPF......and i don't do a lot of long journeys, so will this cause any issues??

#5 Mikeyrs

Mikeyrs
  • Registered Users
  • 424 posts
  • LocationInverness
  • Car:Frozen white mk1 focus + ST170

Posted 22 June 2013 - 07:54 PM

View PostHighlanderUK, on 22 June 2013 - 06:36 PM, said:

me too just now, but about to get a MKIII 2.0TDCi 163PS and unfortunately it has DPF......and i don't do a lot of long journeys, so will this cause any issues??

Depends how many short journeys youl do. but yes, we see a lot of cust with dpf issues, either because they never reach the rpm threshold for dynamic regen or due to immense short journeys, ie taxi drivers and courier delivery.

Theres ways round it, but not worth considering until after the manufacturer warranty has expired

#6 HighlanderUK

HighlanderUK
  • Full Membership
  • 732 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 12:02 PM

goof to know, and i have a 5yr warranty on the new car now......:(

perhaps it can be tuned/mapped out.  at least the dealer said i have an excuse to thrash it down the dualler......to which the wife rolled her eyes and explained i haven't needed a reason before!!

#7 DazW

DazW

Warwickshire Regional Head

• Regional Coordinators
  • 2372 posts
  • LocationNuneaton
  • Car:2016 Ford Focus Zetec S

Posted 06 July 2013 - 01:58 PM

I got quoted £420 to remove the DPF and have an emulator programme written into the ECU

#8 HighlanderUK

HighlanderUK
  • Full Membership
  • 732 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 01:06 AM

ouch thats not a cheap option, it never is......:(

#9 Mikeyrs

Mikeyrs
  • Registered Users
  • 424 posts
  • LocationInverness
  • Car:Frozen white mk1 focus + ST170

Posted 11 July 2013 - 07:24 AM

View PostHighlanderUK, on 11 July 2013 - 01:06 AM, said:

ouch thats not a cheap option, it never is......:(

The alternative is replacing the dpf when its unable to regen, which is normally in excess of £1000 dealer price plus labour. So in comparison, deleting the dpf works out cheaper

#10 Teribus

Teribus
  • Registered Users
  • 9892 posts
  • LocationSelkirk, Scottish Borders

Posted 28 May 2014 - 10:39 PM

DPFs can be sent for cleaning, there are specalist companies who will take away your DPF, clean it and return it.

There's also the possibility that additives such as Cataclean could help clean a DPF, but this would really only work when the DPF is mildly dirty, I doubt it could clear a choked DPF.

It is also worth noting that it is now an MOT failure to remove a DPF from a vehicle originally fitted with one. That said, much like catalysts, I don't suppose there's anything stopping anyone from removing the internals and refitting the original (now empty) box to make it look like there is a DPF fitted.

However for my money these days, a diesel car is only worthwhile if you are doing a lot of miles, and even at that you want to be getting to motorway speeds fairly regularly (say once a month?). If you mostly do short journeys but want good MPG, then a smaller city car is a better bet (1.0 Suzuki Alto can reliably give 50-55MPG without trying too hard). If you still want a bit of power, but still have good MPG then really you want to be getting a small capacity petrol turbo small family car (e.g. Fabia 1.4TSi, Punto 1.4 T-Jet, etc). Or, if you must have diesel, buy one without a DPF!

And I know this is criminal to be said on a Ford Focus forum, but I have to be honest and say that I am not sure that I rate Ford's 1.0T engine, or at least not in anything bigger than a Fiesta (which even then is pushing it given the size of them these days!). Yes, a 1.0T should be economical, but I think that economy is killed off the instant you give it a heavy car to lug around, where it needs to be worked a lot harder to keep up with traffic. TBH I think Ford have missed the boat by not producing something between the 1.0T and 1.6T engines, say a 1.3/1.4 turbo petrol lump...

#11 rob18

rob18
  • Registered Users
  • 3204 posts
  • LocationNewcastle
  • Car:Mk6 Fez ST & Mk1 C-Max

Posted 29 May 2014 - 12:29 AM

I have just bought a 2.0 tdci where can I find wether or not I have dpf?

Also I was thinking about a remap to around 160-170bhp however I have been advised against this as apparently it can cause a diesel turbo to break quite quickly, any truth in this? I was under the impression a remap stays within safe working limits...

#12 JDM_TDCI

JDM_TDCI
  • Full Membership
  • 484 posts
  • LocationHertFORDshire
  • Car:Mk3 Zetec 1.0 EcoBoost 125PS

Posted 27 September 2015 - 08:11 PM

A nice little thread for some info.

#13 rob18

rob18
  • Registered Users
  • 3204 posts
  • LocationNewcastle

Posted 28 September 2015 - 08:29 AM

Just to update my previous post - I opted for a bluefin remap in the end. No other power mods before it, came in on a rolling road at 163.6bhp. Still going strong today.

#14 Brucester

Brucester
  • Registered Users
  • 29 posts
  • LocationGillingham, Kent
  • Car:2008 Titanium 2.0l TDCi

Posted 26 May 2016 - 02:45 PM

rob18, how did you find if yours has a DPF in the end? I need to find out if mine has one or not.

#15 rob18

rob18
  • Registered Users
  • 3204 posts
  • LocationNewcastle

Posted 26 May 2016 - 03:47 PM

IIRC someone on here confirmed I don't have one through my reg. From memory it's more rare for a 2.0 tdci to be fitted one than not.

If you look under your car at your exhaust section, look at the cat and if that has a seperate chamber attached to a small 'fuel tank' (regen fluid tank) then you know you have a dpf.

Another way to tell, if when your car is cold i.e. temp not up to half way and you put your foot down off a line, see a load of smoke coming out that suggests you DON'T have a dpf as a dpf relies on heat to burn away the carbon and throw out big smoke clouds.

#16 JDM_TDCI

JDM_TDCI
  • Full Membership
  • 484 posts
  • LocationHertFORDshire

Posted 29 May 2016 - 09:06 AM

I'm still tempted to get BlueFin for my 1.8 TDCI for a better bit of MPG and performance when needed :)

#17 JDM_TDCI

JDM_TDCI
  • Full Membership
  • 484 posts
  • LocationHertFORDshire

Posted 27 May 2017 - 07:47 AM

Are the MK3 Diesel engines at all different?