#1 gregsayer

gregsayer
  • Registered Users
  • 149 posts
  • LocationNorwich
  • Car:ST3 TDCI

Posted 29 January 2013 - 10:48 AM

So.... bought a year old 2011 Zetec S 3 weeks ago from a ford dealer,

last week my windscreen washers stopped working, i could hear the pumps going, but no water.
so i bought some screenwash fluid, thinking it was because there was only water in there and it had frozen, or that the tank was just empty.

only managed to pour about 500ml into the tank, so i assumed it was just frozen.

now the temperature outside is better, you would expect the jets to work????? Nope....

so i booked it into the dealer,  who this morning took 30 mins to tell me its because the screenwash had solidified and blocked the pump, and that they dont recommend using screenwash??

even though the manual says too, and ford are advertising a £20 winter check that includes topping up screen wash?

to give them credit the dealer didnt charge me to clean it out

anyone else come across this?

#2 T778 LES

T778 LES
  • Registered Users
  • 692 posts
  • LocationMargate, Kent
  • Car:Focus Ghia 2.0l 16v on a T

Posted 29 January 2013 - 12:30 PM

Seems odd

#3 Russ77

Russ77

FFOC Car Care Advisor & FFOC Pub Moderator

• Forum Moderators
  • 12014 posts
  • LocationEssex - Loving the DARKSIDE!!!!
  • Car:2.0TDCi Titanium Estate

Posted 29 January 2013 - 12:34 PM

View Postonly1nitro, on 29 January 2013 - 12:30 PM, said:

Seems odd

Seems very odd!!!!

You need screen wash in the washer fluid bottle.  Water alone isn't sufficient to clean the screen, especially this time of year.

Admittedly using the wrong concentration *could* cause a problem but say what they did just doesn't seem right to me!

#4 vindi93

vindi93
  • Full Membership
  • 622 posts
  • Car:focus mk3 1.6 ecoboost 180bhp

Posted 12 January 2016 - 11:10 PM

that sounds bizzare to me i can understand some kind of blockage but never heard of screenwash curdling before

#5 philharmonic

philharmonic
  • Registered Users
  • 30 posts

Posted 13 January 2016 - 09:01 PM

i had a Volvo V50 a couple of years ago which had headlight washer jets block in cold weather. Both were replaced (on separate occasions) but after the second time  I was warned by the dealer to only use Volvo screenwash or they wouldn't warrant the repairs. So I did. No problems after that.