17 replies to this topic

#1 ChrisTBF

ChrisTBF
  • Registered Users
  • 31 posts
  • LocationEssex
  • Car:2012 Zetec S

Posted 19 December 2013 - 08:04 AM

I am considering fitting a set of the Eibach springs to my Zetec S. The standard set up is very soft, especially at the front and doesn't grip very well around corners, the front wants to dig down, therefore tightening the steering and giving way to understeer (you can compensate with a dab of extra throttle to pull the front up). Previous Focus' were not like this and it is a disappointment in the handling. Obviously this isn't helped by the over-assited steering, so feed back is not great, but it doesn't inspire confidence when turning into a corner quickly.

Has anyone else fitted the Eibach springs? just looking for any feed back.

Chris.

#2 EcoMatt

EcoMatt
  • Registered Users
  • 146 posts
  • LocationNewark, Nottinghamshire
  • Car:Focus 1.6 Ecoboost Titanium

Posted 20 December 2013 - 12:04 PM

Have you had the geometry checked? My car is the Titanium which does have different dampers and springs only specific to the Titanium. I don't have any issues with the handling or steering and always find it corners flat; balancing the cars weight with the throttle and using view point analysis. I had thought about Eibachs but I find the Ford setup more than okay for fast road use.

#3 helsey

helsey
  • Registered Users
  • 541 posts
  • LocationIreland
  • Car:Mk1.5 1.6l 3 door.

Posted 20 December 2013 - 02:16 PM

Well I fitted them to my 03 1.6 and the difference is day and night. The handling was already fairly good but rolled a little too much for enthusiastic cornering :D. Since I fitted them I've rekindled the love with her and sticks to the road. I see a lot of cars using brakes unnecessarily and I just glide around them.

Maybe the mk3 needs a front strut brace?

#4 ChrisTBF

ChrisTBF
  • Registered Users
  • 31 posts
  • LocationEssex

Posted 23 December 2013 - 08:09 AM

I haven't had the geometry checked. It does drive true and there is no other indications there is a problem in that area (that's not to say there isn't).
If yours is the ecoboost, then there is a weight difference at the front (turbo, intercooler etc) so would expect different damping/spring rates to compensate for that which would of course have an effect on the front end handling.
Mine is the Zetec S, which should have the 'sporty' suspension, which surprises me more that it is so soft. ( I know the meaning os sports in this case is rather luke warm)

I can use the throttle to balance the car and adjust the steering accordingly (I have plenty of track experience to help with this), but needing to do this just hightlights that the car isn't set up as well as it should.

To be fair, I don't expect a standard car like this to perfect, but it doesn't feel as good as it should. For my daily driver I want it to be a bit better, I do enjoy cornering quickly and the way it is at the moment it isn't really enjoyable enough. The front doesn't inspire the confidence that my old mk2 Focus would, that felt much better through cornering, different tyres (and size) but the suspension felt more composed.

I do not rate the Continental tyres that are on it either (they are the originals), they understeer very easily, but the front is definately soft, good for going over speed bump though :???:

#5 EcoMatt

EcoMatt
  • Registered Users
  • 146 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 11:00 PM

I have the Michelin PS3 tyres all round and they do grip well in all weathers...apart from snow where they are rubbish.
I have been on a test drive a Zetec 1.6 ti vct prior to getting my car and that didnt feel as planted as my titanium.
I am not sure springs would be enough for you. On my old Focus mk1 mp3 I fitted Koni dampers and springs and that was loads better than the zetec springs and dampers. It was less crashy and more refined with good progressive feedback on grip levels. I wonder if the springs off the ST could be fitted to help maintain similar to the oe ride heigh, but increase the overall feel. You hit on the main reason I will not lower any car again is the speedhumps. Some are so high even my old Octy mk2 vrs lowered on eibachs could scrape the underside.
It

#6 ChrisTBF

ChrisTBF
  • Registered Users
  • 31 posts
  • LocationEssex

Posted 24 December 2013 - 09:13 AM

View PostEcoMatt, on 23 December 2013 - 11:00 PM, said:

I have the Michelin PS3 tyres all round and they do grip well in all weathers...apart from snow where they are rubbish.
I have been on a test drive a Zetec 1.6 ti vct prior to getting my car and that didnt feel as planted as my titanium.
I am not sure springs would be enough for you. On my old Focus mk1 mp3 I fitted Koni dampers and springs and that was loads better than the zetec springs and dampers. It was less crashy and more refined with good progressive feedback on grip levels. I wonder if the springs off the ST could be fitted to help maintain similar to the oe ride heigh, but increase the overall feel. You hit on the main reason I will not lower any car again is the speedhumps. Some are so high even my old Octy mk2 vrs lowered on eibachs could scrape the underside.
It

The best solution would be complete spring/damper change, but as a daily driver I don't want to spend the money or go that far with it. Was hoping the Eibachs would improve it, at least a little.

Not sure the springs from as ST wouldn't work, the springs rates are set up for the different balance of the car, heavier front end.

It is strange the Titanium feels better than the Zetec S, when that is meant to be the 'sportier' version.

Yeah, lowering does affect how you approach speed humps, depends on the humps! the awful square ones that you try to straddle are the worst!. The Focus glides over them fine, but with my other cars I have to go over half the hump, otherwise the the exhaust gets attacked! Luckily I have no need to go down roads with those humps in these.

#7 EcoMatt

EcoMatt
  • Registered Users
  • 146 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 11:12 AM

Is your car fitted with 17 or 18 inch wheels?

#8 ChrisTBF

ChrisTBF
  • Registered Users
  • 31 posts
  • LocationEssex

Posted 30 December 2013 - 11:34 AM

View PostEcoMatt, on 24 December 2013 - 11:12 AM, said:

Is your car fitted with 17 or 18 inch wheels?

17" wheels.

#9 sparkymatt

sparkymatt
  • Registered Users
  • 448 posts
  • LocationWickford, Essex
  • Car:Focus ST3 in Race Red

Posted 30 December 2013 - 09:20 PM

View PostChrisTBF, on 24 December 2013 - 09:13 AM, said:

The best solution would be complete spring/damper change, but as a daily driver I don't want to spend the money or go that far with it. Was hoping the Eibachs would improve it, at least a little.

Not sure the springs from as ST wouldn't work, the springs rates are set up for the different balance of the car, heavier front end.

It is strange the Titanium feels better than the Zetec S, when that is meant to be the 'sportier' version.

Yeah, lowering does affect how you approach speed humps, depends on the humps! the awful square ones that you try to straddle are the worst!. The Focus glides over them fine, but with my other cars I have to go over half the hump, otherwise the the exhaust gets attacked! Luckily I have no need to go down roads with those humps in these.

I had the Eibach spring/damper setup on my Mk1 2.0l saloon. It lowered the car by 35mm and improved the handling no end. Can get straight from Fords so you know the Eibachs are recommended by Ford. Also can get employee discount so worked out about £300 for the lot. Fitted myself.

#10 EcoMatt

EcoMatt
  • Registered Users
  • 146 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 11:50 PM

View PostChrisTBF, on 30 December 2013 - 11:34 AM, said:

17" wheels.

Mine are 18s. I wonder if you are getting soft tyre wall movement causing the suspension to feel softer and more floaty. The 17s have slightly higher tyre walls so are more liable to flex. I know the Michelin PS3 have a stiff tyre wall which is why I keep with them; and that they give excellent grip.

#11 ChrisTBF

ChrisTBF
  • Registered Users
  • 31 posts
  • LocationEssex

Posted 31 December 2013 - 11:14 AM

View Postsparkymatt, on 30 December 2013 - 09:20 PM, said:

I had the Eibach spring/damper setup on my Mk1 2.0l saloon. It lowered the car by 35mm and improved the handling no end. Can get straight from Fords so you know the Eibachs are recommended by Ford. Also can get employee discount so worked out about £300 for the lot. Fitted myself.

Yeah, that's where I was looking, £150 for the springs. I would fit them myself too.

View PostEcoMatt, on 30 December 2013 - 11:50 PM, said:

Mine are 18s. I wonder if you are getting soft tyre wall movement causing the suspension to feel softer and more floaty. The 17s have slightly higher tyre walls so are more liable to flex. I know the Michelin PS3 have a stiff tyre wall which is why I keep with them; and that they give excellent grip.

The tyre profile is quite large and does have an effect. I have tried varing the tyre pressures, but makes little difference. I wouldn't mind changing to 18s, but can't justify the money. As I have said in other threads, I'm not overly impressed with the Continental tyres on the car anyway.

My old mk2 Focus didn't feel as soft. Admittedly I am also more used to cars with firmer suspension, but was surprised that this car feels as soft as it does. I guess I am just a bit disappointed as I expected it to be better. I also prefer a firmer ride and the handling benefits, but as a mass market car the majority of customers would probably prefer a soft set up.

#12 EcoMatt

EcoMatt
  • Registered Users
  • 146 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 08:44 PM

I just fitted a new set of Michelin Pilot Sport 3 and what a difference new tyres make. The car feels more solid with plenty of grip. I also fitted it it with Y rated speed rating over the W ones, so they have a slightly stiffer tyre wall. Overall I am impressed with level of grip on wet and damp roads. I am 99% sure the softness you feel will be from the tyre wall.  But not having a rigid suspension does have its advantages over long journeys. I know my old Focus RS was very stiff and barely had movement from the Sachs dampers, which made even a trip to the shops feel like a rally stage. Fun at first but was tiring if I had a headache lol.
Id renew with Michelin PS3 next time as they do have a stiff tyre wall and also excellent grip levels; plus are rated highly in most tyre tests.

#13 EcoMatt

EcoMatt
  • Registered Users
  • 146 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 01:50 AM

I have been doing some research into springs for the Focus. It would appear the Titanium sports package  does have different dampers and springs to the zetec. The springs have a similar poundage to the eibach uprated springs but still retains the oe ride height. That explains why my car handles so well and corners nearly flat.

#14 Simonize46

Simonize46
  • Registered Users
  • 17 posts
  • LocationNorth Yorkshire
  • Car:Mk3 Focus Zetec-S (182PS)

Posted 03 May 2014 - 10:43 PM

View PostChrisTBF, on 19 December 2013 - 08:04 AM, said:

I am considering fitting a set of the Eibach springs to my Zetec S. The standard set up is very soft, especially at the front and doesn't grip very well around corners, the front wants to dig down, therefore tightening the steering and giving way to understeer (you can compensate with a dab of extra throttle to pull the front up). Previous Focus' were not like this and it is a disappointment in the handling. Obviously this isn't helped by the over-assited steering, so feed back is not great, but it doesn't inspire confidence when turning into a corner quickly.

Has anyone else fitted the Eibach springs? just looking for any feed back.

Chris.

I have similar issues as you, but I think it's the OE 17" Bridgestone Turanza ER300 tyres, which are horrid in my opinion; flexy and hard! And this is my main reason for considering 18" wheels/tyres. I do fancy fitting some quality coilovers though, given time. And funds. lol

#15 ChrisTBF

ChrisTBF
  • Registered Users
  • 31 posts
  • LocationEssex

Posted 13 May 2014 - 07:03 AM

View PostSimonize46, on 03 May 2014 - 10:43 PM, said:

I have similar issues as you, but I think it's the OE 17" Bridgestone Turanza ER300 tyres, which are horrid in my opinion; flexy and hard! And this is my main reason for considering 18" wheels/tyres. I do fancy fitting some quality coilovers though, given time. And funds. lol

Yeah, I don't think the tyres help at all. I get terrible understeer!

#16 JezzaW

JezzaW
  • Registered Users
  • 32 posts
  • LocationSomerset
  • Car:2012 focus Titanium 1.6 tdci

Posted 10 August 2014 - 06:21 PM

Did anyone get the Ford Eibach springs?
Thinking about it for my Titanium but worried about all the speed bumps on the estate where I live

Any advice please

#17 EcoMatt

EcoMatt
  • Registered Users
  • 146 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 09:31 PM

I looked into it but I decided not to fit them. The car as std handles very well.

#18 vindi93

vindi93
  • Full Membership
  • 622 posts
  • Car:focus mk3 1.6 ecoboost 180bhp

Posted 22 August 2014 - 10:21 PM

i think the zetec s all ready has a strut brace fitted i will get a photo uploaded tomorrow. i wouldnt want to lower it as there are 2 many speed ramps about. The only problem i have is it feeling light but i think thats due to driving the insignia company car during the week as i only drive the focus on a weekend and some evenings. wait till my kit car is back on the road going from that to the focus will make it feel like a monster truck lol.