15 replies to this topic

#1 kayf95

kayf95
  • Registered Users
  • 612 posts
  • LocationNewcastle
  • Car:Mk1 1.4zetec focus 5door

Posted 03 April 2015 - 09:18 AM

Best way and what products do you use? Never cleaned under bonnet before but wanting to give both the cars a good clean out. Not sure what I should use though, had a look around the Internet and it's mixed opinions so thought I'd ask what you lot use.

#2 hulk_slogan

hulk_slogan
  • Registered Users
  • 2633 posts
  • LocationEast London/Essex
  • Car:Its blue in the summer months!

Posted 03 April 2015 - 01:32 PM

I have covered the electrics on my old mk1.5 etc with tin foil, then sprayed water lightly over it all, then used autoglym engine cleaner/degreaser and then sprayed water again to rinse off.

No ill effects but that is a very
mixed opinion about spraying water in the engine.

I wouldnt do it on my mk2.5 as it has audio cables and all sorts so.. I used loads of microfibre's and quick detailer to clean the whole engine (time consuming) with a detailing brush to get into crevices.

Meguiars tyre shine to dress rubber bits like hoses.
Meguairs trim restorer for all the faded black plastic.

Pack of detailing/toothbrushes worked for getting into places my fingers Couldnt.

Deffo do the underside of the bonnet first, otherwise it'll drip over the engine!

Make sure the engine is cold when you begin to clean. If you use water anywhere then turn the engine on after you have finished to help dry any remaining water.

Your bumper, wings and windshield may get dirty so do it before cleaning the outside of the car!

My mk1.5 stayed clean for around a year, no joke, even when it rained.

My mk2.5 stayed clean for about a month if that before there was spray and water marks and dirt all over it.
Must be a design thing!

#3 kayf95

kayf95
  • Registered Users
  • 612 posts
  • LocationNewcastle

Posted 03 April 2015 - 01:43 PM

Thanks will give it a go next time we get some decent weather as its meant to be going to rain here all weekend! :(
Thanks for the guide, yeah I have read of lots of people using damp microfibres, will have to get some cheap tooth brushes as well :)

#4 hulk_slogan

hulk_slogan
  • Registered Users
  • 2633 posts

Posted 03 April 2015 - 01:55 PM

No worries :) ill try and find my before and after pictures and put them up so you can see what can be achieved!

If you did need something for more stubborn areas, you could try something like quick detailer or the 'waterless soap' stuff i think turtlewax does, as you dont need to rinse either product off after so its all safe.

Be careful on painted parts with the toothbrushes though, especially the rear of the bumper as on my mk2 I scrubbed a little too hard and off came the paint.. I guess its not as thick or laquered under there haha.. Good job it cannot be seen!

#5 kayf95

kayf95
  • Registered Users
  • 612 posts
  • LocationNewcastle

Posted 03 April 2015 - 03:15 PM

Going to have a go on my mk1 and on my golf GTI as well, hoping for a dry afternoon tomorrow as ive got work in the morning but no plans for the rest of the day :)

#6 hulk_slogan

hulk_slogan
  • Registered Users
  • 2633 posts

Posted 03 April 2015 - 03:16 PM

mk1 before:

Posted Image

Posted Image

mk1 after:

Posted Image

Posted Image

#7 hulk_slogan

hulk_slogan
  • Registered Users
  • 2633 posts

Posted 03 April 2015 - 03:17 PM

oops.. spot the difference... one of those pics is not a mk1! my bad :P

#8 kayf95

kayf95
  • Registered Users
  • 612 posts
  • LocationNewcastle

Posted 03 April 2015 - 06:31 PM

Lol the second one?
And wow what a difference looks great, just what I want mine looking like :)

#9 hulk_slogan

hulk_slogan
  • Registered Users
  • 2633 posts

Posted 03 April 2015 - 07:33 PM

Cheers bud! Yeah surprisingly easy to achieve too. Just time consuming and really annoying when theres a bit you cant reach ha! Or in my case the alternator housing was discoloured and there was a crack in the battery cover :/

#10 Bailes90

Bailes90
  • Registered Users
  • 1334 posts
  • LocationKings Lynn, Norfolk
  • Car:(13) Kuga Titanium X AWD

Posted 03 April 2015 - 08:39 PM

all i could say is dont use a hose and loads of water get a hand pump pressure sprayer from homebase or something and use a light misting of water

#11 hulk_slogan

hulk_slogan
  • Registered Users
  • 2633 posts

Posted 03 April 2015 - 09:28 PM

I agree. I used a garden hose with a head attachment that only produced a little mist.

#12 kayf95

kayf95
  • Registered Users
  • 612 posts
  • LocationNewcastle

Posted 04 April 2015 - 01:59 PM

Had a go, here are my before and afters quite pleased with the results!

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#13 hulk_slogan

hulk_slogan
  • Registered Users
  • 2633 posts

Posted 04 April 2015 - 02:41 PM

Ahhh nice! Looks excellent mate! You'll probably notice the odd raised eyebrow from garages when they open the bonnet to see a clean engine bay!

#14 kayf95

kayf95
  • Registered Users
  • 612 posts
  • LocationNewcastle

Posted 04 April 2015 - 02:48 PM

Haha more than likely! I bought my golf of my mechanic, he hasn't cleaned under the bonnet though, so il have to get the golf done next. Think he was shocked when I got the carpets and red recaros vac cleaned in it, looked like a new interior lol

#15 hulk_slogan

hulk_slogan
  • Registered Users
  • 2633 posts

Posted 04 April 2015 - 04:48 PM

Mind if i use the pics you posted above for a thread on engine bay cleaning? Thought I'd throw together a few tips n stuff, maybe make a sticky out of it for the car care and cleaning section!

#16 kayf95

kayf95
  • Registered Users
  • 612 posts
  • LocationNewcastle

Posted 05 April 2015 - 05:07 PM

Course I don't mind that's fine... Love having pics of my car about the place anyway ;) haha, today I managed to get the golf done, not that you would be wanting pics of it anyway, but still... She's looking pretty too lol...
Posted Image