6 replies to this topic

#1 rob18

rob18
  • Registered Users
  • 3204 posts
  • LocationNewcastle
  • Car:Mk6 Fez ST & Mk1 C-Max

Posted 01 June 2015 - 05:24 PM

Going to a car show on Sunday and i'm on a club stand with my standard looking mk2 family car, don't have enough time to do anything to make it look decent as babies have other things on their mind...Anyway i'm not too bothered but my ghia alloys are badly corroding, just wondering if using brush on hammerite over the top after a quick wash would be a good idea? Bound to look better than they currently do and ideally i'll be refurbing them properly (inc. stripping all paint off) in future so this would just be a temp fix.

#2 Luke.101

Luke.101

COTM Moderator

• Registered Users
  • 717 posts
  • LocationNewbury
  • Car:Mk1.5 Edge 1.8 3dr

Posted 01 June 2015 - 07:22 PM

I don't see why it wouldn't work. I've only ever done steelies with it before and they come up well. I have found that spray hammerite leaves a better finish than brush on as you don't get the brush strokes in it so that might be worth bearing in mind with alloys. But taking a bit of care with brush on should be alright, and if it's only temporary i'm sure it'll be fine :)

Don't think i've ever seen a set of ghia alloys that haven't corroded or been refurbed. The designers must have had a heavy night out before coming up with the plans for them lol

#3 rob18

rob18
  • Registered Users
  • 3204 posts
  • LocationNewcastle

Posted 01 June 2015 - 07:46 PM

My main concern was the paint 'flicking' off when the wheels spin, seen this before with normal spray paint where (I assume) the lad hadn't left them to dry/harden long enough. If it's been done on steelies though then it's worth a try, only got tins of black/white hammerite hence brushing it on, got a tin of bright blue spray hammerite but only got 1 tin and it's blue and would then require removing the wheels etc lol. I'm planning leaving the wheels on the car and doing it really lazily with no prep apart from a wash lol, bit of an experiment really....

As for the Ghia wheels I agree, they're terrible, such a shame.

#4 Luke.101

Luke.101

COTM Moderator

• Registered Users
  • 717 posts
  • LocationNewbury
  • Car:Mk1.5 Edge 1.8 3dr

Posted 01 June 2015 - 07:49 PM

Haha that's fair enough. If you're doing it on the car i'd say just make sure not to brush it on too thickly, might take a couple of coats but it'll help prevent any dribbles or uneven bits :P

#5 richard225

richard225
  • Registered Users
  • 261 posts
  • Locationderbyshire dales
  • Car:st3

Posted 02 June 2015 - 06:27 PM

ive never done wheels with hammerite  but allways do my callipers with it and allways looks a good job after two coats ,so cannot see why the wheels will not look good

#6 J12BDM

J12BDM
  • Registered Users
  • 4 posts
  • Car:2005 Mk2 1.6 petrol hatchback

Posted 10 August 2015 - 02:09 PM

Did this work in the end? I have a ghia and am looking at my options for tidying up the peeling lacquer.

#7 rob18

rob18
  • Registered Users
  • 3204 posts
  • LocationNewcastle

Posted 11 August 2015 - 07:50 AM

Haven't yet got around to doing all 4 or properly but I painted one wheel, the hammerite has stuck and looks decent, just got to make sure all of the peeling lacquer is removed first, I plan on using a pressure washer to hopefully take all of the lacquer off then paint them all.